Industry Profile of Sponsoring Agencies of Language Practicum Trainees


This study forms phase 3 of a research project titled. “Language Practicum 2013 and Beyond” which explores academe-industry partnership, a concept relevant to today’s educational reforms. Language Practicum (LP) is adopted to refer to the On-the-Job Training (OJT) for AB English students of Bicol University, Philippines. Specifically, the research profiles the sponsoring organizations that accommodated the Language Practicum trainees for 2013; enumerates job descriptions in the market fit for trainees and lists down competency requirements of such job descriptions. The study is anchored on the questions-oriented model of evaluation, or more appropriately quasi-evaluation. It began with questions that can happen to give evidence on the worth and merit of the LP and its continued place in the AB English curriculum. This phase of the study somehow addresses the “beyond” part in the title as it will also attempt to present a profiling of host organizations and their competency requirements so that trainees are properly fielded. Meanwhile, initial data yielded the following results: 61.30% of sponsoring organizations are government agencies while the remaining 38.70% are private offices further categorized as bank/financial (6.40%), airlines (6.40%), direct selling/marketing (6.40%), BPO (6.40%), construction (3. 20%), events organizing (3.20%) and others (3.20%). Based on documents evaluation, the five top jobs handled by the trainees include those of: administrative officer, information officer, customer service representative, clerk and technical/speech writer. Competency required from trainees mentioned: interpersonal skills, workplace-readiness, oral presentation, public speaking, organizational skills, among others. The “beyond” portion hopefully will be addressed upon completion.

Author Information
Gemma B. Bellena, Bicol University, Philippines

Paper Information
Conference: ECE2015
Stream: Higher education

This paper is part of the ECE2015 Conference Proceedings (View)
Full Paper
View / Download the full paper in a new tab/window

Comments & Feedback

Place a comment using your LinkedIn profile


Share on activity feed

Powered by WP LinkPress

Share this Research

Posted by James Alexander Gordon