Awareness on Fish Depletion and Fishing Practices among Fishermen around River Rima and Kware Lake, Northwestern Nigeria


Human dependence on freshwater fish is significant, owing to the nutritional value provided by fish to populations particularly in the developing world. Fish are overexploited or severely depleted as a result of excessive fishing quotas, illegal fishing practices and poor management of our freshwater resources. Fishermen around River Rima and Kware Lake were surveyed to investigate their awareness on fish depletion and fishing practices using structured questionnaire. The survey reveals that unawareness of fish depletion among the fishermen was 100% from both River Rima and Kware Lake. On fishing regularity, 80% of the respondents from River Rima fish every day, compared to those from Kware Lake that have 90%. Only 10% of fishermen from Rima were subsistence fishermen while 100% of Kware Lake fishermen were local commercial fishermen. Kware Lake fishermen amounting to 10% were among those that use nets only during fishing, while the remaining 90% use other additional local gears apart from net. But it was quite different compared to Fishermen around River Rima with 40% (nets only) and other gears covered 60%. Fishing activities are regular routine in these freshwater bodies, and the fishermen were encouraged by their customers due to their consistent patronage. But the awareness of fish depletion among them remains deficient.

Author Information
Ibrahim Muhammad Magami, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Nigeria
Sani Ibrahim, Bayero University, Nigeria
Sabi’u Musa Yelwa, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Nigeria

Paper Information
Conference: ACSEE2015
Stream: Environmental Sustainability and Environmental Management: Freshwater

This paper is part of the ACSEE2015 Conference Proceedings (View)
Full Paper
View / Download the full paper in a new tab/window

Virtual Presentation

Comments & Feedback

Place a comment using your LinkedIn profile


Share on activity feed

Powered by WP LinkPress

Share this Research

Posted by James Alexander Gordon